Fit in Porto with Toddler 😎

Our trip to Porto took place during last week of September. It had been about 2 years since I travelled somewhere besides of Denmark or Estonia. This was mainly due to corona. So this year I really wanted to go somewhere to extend the summer. I was in between Cyprus, Croatia, some Greek island or Porto. The first options would have secured better beach weather but the last one had my dear friend from Shanghai who I had not seen for a while. Generally it is always nice to visit a place where you have a local friend who can show around and tell about the life. 🙂


We had to look up our facemasks for the trip

In addition there were direct flights from Copenhagen to Porto, plus Portugal has very high vaccination rate and low number of cases. We had to still wear facemask inside and I believe there was some corona pass showing rules but it all was fine. 

View from my friend´s home 😍

TRIP

I was actually quite afraid that our flight will be cancelled since there is not enough people. So you can imagine how surprised I was when the Ryanair flight was full. 😀 Nolan had got some virus so I believe he had small fever during the flight. I did not dare to check his temperature and he did not have any other symptoms. On a positive note he was more calm than usually during the flight and managed to sit still 3 hours and nap half of the trip.

Central Porto on the background

We arrived quite late to Porto (closed to midnight) so I ordered the taxi service from the hotel. This was very convenient, the guy was waiting with my name and even had the child seat in the car.

View from top of the bridge

ACCOMODATION

We stayed all 7 nights in Bn Apartments Carregal. It was located in the city center and walking distance to the main attractions. And it had a swimming pool. The advantage was also location on the ground floor since it was easier to access with a stroller. Plus a big garden where Nolan could run around. We could also order breakfast delivered by the door for 5 eur.

Breakfast and view to the garden

Pool time

Booking a apartment would have been slightly cheaper but I enjoyed the pool actually quite a bit. The weather was similar to average summer in Denmark so first days were a bit cloudy and rainy but the rest of the week was quite sunny, around 23 degrees. So I even got some tan. 😊

Gym, where I even made it once

Previous chapel changed to bar

ACTIVITIES

Porto is very lovely city with a super nice scenery. So basically it is also just nice to walk a round and enjoy the architecture and cozy atmosphere by the river. Since we were there for a week, we try to do about 1 activity a day. 

Train station

On a first day we went for a Cable Car ride. You can do it only one way or return. The cable car takes you on top of the bridge where is a beautiful view down to the city. Around the same location there is also possibility to go for a 1 hour river cruise. It is kind a thing that we always take the river tour when traveling.😀 This time it was the Douro river cruise that showed 7 bridges and talked about the history. A good thing about the both 2 activities was that there was a nice playground close by. So in the end we also ate lunch around there so Kevin could entertain Nolan in a playground while I was ordering and waiting for the food.

Cable car ride
Playground fan

Together with the river tour we also got a free entrance to 2 different port wine tasting places around the area. And of course we did not let them go waist and scrolled around there with Nolan. 😋 I am not a huge port wine drinker so I actually did not manage to finish my drinks. However I quite enjoyed the Sangrias. I guess the free tickets paid off since we bought 2 port wines home from the tasting places. Have not managed to open them yet. The tour guide said that port wine always helps to chill down angry wife, so I guess that is why Kevin was so eager to buy them. 😀

More views from the river

From the museums we only visited one. It was called World of Discoveries and about the time when Portuguese were discovering new continents. I quite enjoyed it and it was fine to visit also with small child. Museum is not big and the highlight is about 15 minute long boat trip that takes you through different areas of Portuguese history. 

Boat ride

SURFING

And of course the highlight of the trip (besides visiting my friend) was trying our surfing first time. It was my friend who recommended the surf place. I was at the beginning in doubt because I am a bit afraid of big waves, but Porto is actually the perfect place since the waves are about right for the beginner. An hour cost about 25 EUR. And we got wetsuits on. First time when my feet touched the water I though I will survive maybe 5 minutes since it felt so cold. The instructors themselves also have the shoes on. Luckily it got warm once I started moving around and I forgot the cold water. 

After surfing

So Kevin looked after Nolan and I tried out surfing with 4 other Portuguese guys. I think it was not the first time for them so the instructor could spend more time teaching and helping me. It was actually not so difficult as I though and I got up to standing on a board on most of the times. The easy part was also the fact that the instructor pushed the board and shouted when I should get up. Later on when I tried without his support, it was much more difficult. Let´s call it also beginner luck! 😅

Beach day

The surfing took place in Atlantic Ocean and area called Matosinhos. It is about 20 minute ride from the city center. We also walked along the coast after surfing and it is super pretty. 

Nice promenade by the ocean

WINE TOUR

Porto area is famous for the wine yards. That is why I could not say no to the trip there even though we had a toddler with us. Parents of the year definitely! 😅 The day trip went actually very well. The scenery was beautiful and wine good! We had a 1 hour ferry trip along the Douro valley, visited normal wvine yard and then port wineyard. I did not hear much of the tours since had to run behind Nolan but I am not that sad about it! 😀

Views from the wine tour

Nolan keeping us busy

CITY

As mentioned, the city is lovely with its hilly roads. One of the landmarks is the Porto Cathedral that is basically the highest point of the city so it is pretty good exercise to get up there. Even though Kevin was on post of the times on a stroller duty, both of us had pain in our legs on a first 2 days from walking around in the hilly landscape. That is why you no fat people are living in Porto.😅

Kevin exercising when Noaln sleeps

One a way to the Cathedral there is S. Bento Station. I think it is the main train station in Porto. It is famous of its atrium that is covered by 20 thousand famous blue-white tiles. I actually did not know that these type of tiles are the signature of Portugal. They are visible in quite many buildings and make the architecture very pretty. 

My happy moment with sangria 😀

We mostly got around by foot or by taxi (Bolt). It was in post cases almost the same price as buying tickets for 2 adults and would take much faster. And ofc I am supporting Estonian companies this way. 😀

You can also find palm trees in Porto

Eating out is very reasonable in terms of prices. I am not a huge food lover so I cannot comment much here. The main thing in the area is order some fish dish since in most cases they are very fresh. There is also a famous local pastry that is worth trying. It is called custard tarts (Pastel de Nata). 

More pictures by the ocean walk

Something to remember is that it is good to have some cash with you since in many places they did not have an option to pay by card. I even had to leave ready maid mojito to one restaurant since we did not have cash with us and could not find the withdrawal machine. It was a bit weird though since it was quite big and above average restaurant by the ocean. So I was very surprised that they did not take cards. Probably they do some money laundering or tax avoidance, I just do not see any other reason. 

One time when Iina took us eat in a real Portugese taverna

TODDLER FUN

Overall it is still easier to travel without the toddler than with, but it is still doable and not that much worse than being home for a week. I had also missed the feeling of being in completely different place and surrounded by new culture. We did not take many toys for Nolan but somehow he managed to entertain himself with things around him like luggage's. 😀 I was most worried that he will eats some milk or egg and we need to go to the hospital. It is not that easy to read all the ingredient list in Portuguese.  Actually the hospital was just behind the corner but it was not the strategic decision but more like a coincidence. Nolan does not eat that well and that is why we booked the accommodation with the kitchen. Overall we did not use it that much since he did not like the food either that we cooked so he survived on crackers, fruits and French fries.😀 And ofc no trip without breaking sth, this time Nolan broke 2 wine classes but luckily we did not need to pay for them. So let´s see where we will travel with him next time! 😊

Vacation with toddler reality 😅

See you soon Porto!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ema"puhkus" Taani moodi vol2

The Birth Story vol 2 💞

Koh Samui with baby and toddler 🏝